Sunday, June 10, 2012

EYE Amsterdam @ IJpromenade

                         Photo: Henk Meijer via his blog Places of the World
Eye has only opened its door for a few weeks now but this spot is already really really popular. Eye is the new film museum, replacing the old one at Vondelpark. Besides being a museum, Eye also has a 4 hall cinema, one of the best terraces of Amsterdam and a lovely restaurant with the same beautiful IJview as the terrace.

I visited Eye last Friday to see the movie 'Moonrise Kingdom'. I was already planning to go here for a few weeks and I really have to say that I am impressed. At first when Eye was being built, I didn't like it's modern white building with it's diamond shape at all. But I have to admit that it has turned out to be wonderful! The moment you walk into the restaurant you are actually stunned by the beautiful 180 degree view over the water and by the modern design. The restaurant has been built up in layers and for each layer tables stand a bit higher than the one below. Also, there are wooden stairs in the middle where you can sit down on and have a drink. It's really nice, in this way everybody has a great view on the water. I went to the movies with my sister somewhere around 8 p.m and when we came out of the cinema we could just see the sun set. And even though Amsterdam North in general is still not very popular, when we left at 00.30 there were still a lot of people drinking, chatting & laughing as if it were a normal cafe.

Eye has a huge sunny outside terrace along the water as well, which I want to go check out soon.
I think Amsterdam North has a new hot spot! :-) Check out the menu or movie program here 

1 comment:

  1. Excuses, ik zal het er meteen bijzetten! Echt een supermooie foto :)

    ReplyDelete